Friday, June 8, 2012

J'ai beaucoup de chance.


A typical French childhood snack.

Remember when I said that my host family's just wonderful? Well, that was even before last night.

Vincent had said something about singing for people and, because my French is... sometimes uncertain, I somehow jumped to the conclusion that they would be performing in a concert. When I said this to Sophie, she just blinked at me before smiling and saying, no, this would not be a concert. I had no idea what I was in store for.

We went to a home for handicapped people -- both physically and mentally. Sophie and I entered a room that was a bit like a spacious hospital room, except that there were things like a Spongebob pillow with Bon Anniversaire David! written on it. This was David's room, a man around probably 30 years old who was bed ridden and had some trouble speaking, although he had a great sense of humor when he did speak.

A few of the other residents had gathered for the Thursday night get-together. After introducing myself (I was complimented on my French -- so kind of them), we passed around thick stacks of bound paper, the pages containing the lyrics to a number of classic songs, both French and English. And then we started singing.

It was one of the most heartwarming things I have ever witnessed. Most of what we sang was French so I didn't know the melody well enough to sing along, but listening to their voices rise and fall with fervor as though following a hymn was amazing. One man, Eduard, had come in especially to accompany them on a three foot electric keyboard. David knew the words to many songs by heart.

After singing, we had some munchies. While the paper plates of crackers were being passed around, I was awed by the sense of community in the room. The residents truly cared about each other, and I could tell that these Thursday visits from Sophie and Vincent meant a lot to them. They joked with each other and sang without reservation. They made sure everyone got enough to eat.

Music and food: two things that strike a universal chord. And ultimately, people are just people, no matter who they are or where they live. One of the women was a dancer before she was handicapped. Another was really passionate about the States and had been to New York for a week this year. In this context, but also on a daily basis, I feel especially lucky to be able to travel the world like this. I still have my whole life ahead of me; my path is as yet undetermined. I realize that this sense of possibility is unique to this period in my life. A sense of appreciation is imperative. Believe me, I'm enjoying every single bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment