Friday, June 15, 2012

observations, in no particular order.


  1. French people eat faster than Swedes. It could be that my family just eats really slowly, but as I've spent a lot of time eating over the past month, I've had time to notice such things.
  2. They also speak much more quickly. It's not just the liaisons between words; in general French requires more words to say the same thing and each word is clipped, rather than drawn out like sleepy Swedish.
  3. The double-kiss thing definitely exists. It's the first thing you do when you meet people, although the level of wetness depends on how forward the other person is. The French are definitely not bashful about public displays of affection. I've seen couples kissing in line at the Louvre, in the Metro, at cafés, at parks, on the streets...
  4. Speaking of the metro, it's a great place for people watching. One guy across from me was rolling a cigarette in between taking swigs from his beer on the floor. There are lots of people going to/coming from work, and it's fun to imagine where they go when the day is through. 
  5. Men are very forward here. I don't feel like I need to elaborate much on this, but the attention on the streets is worlds away from the timid Scandinavians.
  6. Cheese is very important. And the quality is just better in general. If you come to Paris, best not to expect to find any Kraft American Singles.
  7. Also important are common courtesy words. You can't just walk into a shop and look around without saying anything. One is expected to greet the store owner with "Bonjour," say "Merci" for everything, and then greet them on your way out. If the French have a reputation of being rude it's because there are different standards for interactions. Maybe because the men are so forward, women have to be short in order not to egg them on.
  8. There are some religious discrepancies that I'm not sure I'm qualified enough to explain. I've heard that, while it's okay to be Muslim or Jewish, there is active discrimination against Christians. I have yet to go to church here, but I think it would be a good experience (especially in one of those gorgeous chapels).
  9. French people are, as reputed, quite thin on the whole. It may be because of all of the cigarettes, but I can imagine the walking doesn't hurt, either. It's hard to find places to run here so I haven't "exercised" in two weeks (yikes). The miles I walk every day are the only thing stopping me from having to buy new clothes, despite eating baguettes and cheese all day.
  10. There are also a lot of men here with widows' peaks. I told you this list had no rhyme nor reason.
  11. The public has a funny attitude towards their new president's, Francois Holland's, mistress, calling her basically the lover of France. They also say that the media misrepresented Nicholas Sarkosy to play up his personal life more than his politics. Too late now.
  12. Lots of poverty. Lots of beggars. A lot of gypsy kids who ask you over and over again to sign their "papers" so they can (sometimes) steal your wallet. A lot of cripples bent over so it breaks your heart to say no. People sitting on doorsteps during a downpour. Like in any major city. Still, it's a good reminder that even Paris isn't perfect.
  13. Produce is more expensive here than in the States. The cucumber I bought yesterday was €1.50. I'm justifying the lack of vegetables by averaging it out with the ridiculous amounts of salad I eat throughout the rest of the year.
I know there's more I wanted to write about, but that'll do for now. I love picking up on the little idiosyncrasies of each city. My eyes are wide open here.


No comments:

Post a Comment