Thursday, June 14, 2012

little things.

I walked across Paris and back today – no exaggeration. I plugged my route into GoogleMaps and I walked 21km today (about 13 miles). I’m so tired and so close to falling asleep, but I feel like I owe my family an update on the past couple of days.


Yesterday we made macaronnes -- the delicious little cookies infamously adored by Marie Antoinette -- from scratch. It was one of the many excursions offered to us through the Reid Hall program. Along with the tours of Pigalle, l’Hotel de Ville and Giverny, I have to say that I am pretty satisfied with the available cultural activities here.


The baking class was held at l’Ecole de Patisserie de Paris, a culinary school. After getting a demonstration from our (very patient) teacher, we sifted pulverized almonds and beat egg whites until our hands were sticky and our efforts resembled something like a macaronne. The recipe was surprisingly easy to follow. And man, oh man, were they delicious. I ate five for my lunch. Hopefully I’ll have the diligence to make these when I come home…

 

After class yesterday I went back to the Musée d’Orsay to see the Post-Impressionists. I then painted until dinnertime and slept like a log (as I plan to do tonight). I’ll post pictures of my paintings later, I promise.

Today I walked to school, walked to Montmartre, ate a crepe and listened to a violin player on the steps by the Sacre Coeur. Then I walked back home and crashed.


I have so much to say, my head is swimming with observations, but if I try to articulate my thoughts right now I don’t feel like I’ll do them justice.

A bien tôt,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment