Monday, June 11, 2012

No one said it was going to be easy...

My brain is tired. I think I'm in sensory overload at the moment. It feels like my head is a fishbowl, words swimming around aimlessly until they float to the bottom and cement themselves into my consciousness. Add that to a persistent inability to fall asleep/sleep in and I'm basically tired all the time.

Yesterday, I spent the entire day with Vincent and Sophie, plus (unbeknownst to me) about a dozen of their friends. So much French. Many of them had young kids, who were somewhat difficult to understand (albeit very cute). After returning from the Aviation Museum we went to someone's apartment, where the intellectual discussions abounded -- in French. They talked about immigration, business and poverty, and asked me questions about myself. In French. Then I discussed religion with Sophie over dinner later last night. In French. And today I had a wonderful dinner with Sophie's parents and siblings, where I was able to talk about my life goals, background, etc. (you guessed it... in French).

No one said it was going to be easy.

On the plus side, I can tell that my comprehension is getting loads better, as is my recall. This afternoon on my stroll along the Seine I stopped to speak with two different artists (each a little crazy), me stating my preference of acrylic over watercolor. Today a woman mistook me for a French person and asked me for directions, which was a huge compliment. I'm able to order at restaurants/ask for help without a problem. So while I'm not great, I do sense that I'm making huge progress.

Anyways, more later. Time to do my homework...

In French.


Looking over my shoulder as I ate my lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment