Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A new routine

I love my new language teacher. She's your stereotypical french woman with a slick, brown bob and a high-pitched voice who uses sentences constructed in such a way that I can understand every word while still learning things and writes anything and everything up on the chalkboard. C'est magnifique.

Yesterday was the start of the new "semester" (although for me each semester is only a month long... wish school was like that). We stayed in the same room but changed teachers, added and lost a few students, and have tweaked our schedule a bit from before. Instead of having class from 11-2 (during which my stomach would make obscene growling noises), we now study from 2:30-5:30pm. And on Mondays we have this weird schedule of starting at 5pm and ending at 6:30. I'm not sure if I like it much better because it means that I'm pretty exhausted by the time class ends, without having had much time to explore before class. Yesterday and today I just did some art/homework before class which, while not terrible, is not exactly helping me explore the city. Perhaps tomorrow I'll be more adventurous.


Anyways, yesterday before class I met up with Reid after she had finished for the day, and the two of us found a nice park in which we could sit and share a lunch. I brought the bread and fruit, while she brought the cheese and jam. Now that's what I call teamwork.

Only in France would they have fruit named after art.

After chatting (in French - thank goodness I have someone my age who will practice with me, even if it is a bit like the blind leading the blind at times) and sketching the scenery for a couple of hours, we went our separate ways: me to class and her back home to work on homework. After class I did some much-needed grocery shopping, walked home, ate... nothing of interest, really. I guess that's when you know you're not a tourist.

This is a poor quality photo that doesn't do my dinner justice... but I promise it was delicious.

Tomorrow is the 4th of July and it will be the first time that I'm out of the country to celebrate our nation's independence. It will also be the first time I'm not with any family members. Oh, well. Some of us are planning on celebrating together, American-style, albeit without a cook-out or fireworks.

That's all for now! A tout à l'heure!

No comments:

Post a Comment