Friday, May 18, 2012

Farewell then, old chap.


[Note: this is a bit delayed, but better late than never.]

I’m writing this in the Gatwick airport, although there isn’t any Wi-Fi so it’ll be a few hours before I can post it. It’s 7:45am and I’m wide-awake, despite a fitful night of sleep, anticipation of the next leg of my journey causing me to count hours rather than sheep.



London was a whirlwind. We definitely took it quite easy, all things considered, having woken up at noon yesterday (oops). Lilli and her dad were so flexible and accommodating, it’s not as if I felt harried trying to see the sights. I put a lot more emphasis on spending time with them and familiarizing myself with London than I did trying to cram in every tourist hotspot. It just wouldn’t have been feasible during my short time here. Still, it’s exhausting to be in a new city, constantly exposed to new stimuli.

On Tuesday Lilli and I left in the early afternoon to go to the Tate Modern. We walked through the drizzle from her house in the Southwestern part of town to the Eastern bit, feeling like true natives as we wielded our umbrella against the rain. The Tate Modern was lovely –- as to be expected –- and naturally very different from the National Gallery, the Victoria and Albert Museum or the National Portrait Gallery. There I added an incredible Dalí to the collection of Van Goghs, Matisses, Toulouse-Lautrecs and Freuds I’ve seen thus far. Especially after Paris, I’m going to come back quite spoiled, art-wise…


View from the Tate Modern

I mean, I’ve been spoiled in many ways. Especially in terms of food… Goodness, I’ve eaten so well here. Lots of crumpets, lots of tea, but also things like, ‘mushy peas and chips’ for dinner last night (you know you’re English if you can understand what that means). I swear I’m going to eat my way through Europe (and out of my wardrobe).

Anyways, Tuesday night we went clubbing in Central London, which felt oh-so-cosmopolitan. Lilli’s friend is a club promoter, so we got in for free. They almost didn’t let me in because I didn’t meet their dress code of high heels, but luckily I think I was tall enough to pass for a pump wearing bitty. We got in late after a very fun night -- one of the reasons why we didn’t wake up until late yesterday.



Yesterday afternoon we met up with Adam, a friend from Harvard who now lives in London. The three of us had tea at this crazy tearoom called, “Sketch,” a place so kitsch it’s considered haute.  In addition to light fixtures made of toy construction vehicles, portraits of nude women with the heads of birds and sequin-studded “loos,” they offered us some delicious pastries and tea. We then walked through town and a hung out a bit in Hyde Park before visiting one of Lilli’s friends from high school. It was really great to see Adam, even if only for a short while. It did feel a little surreal, however… all three of us hanging out like usual, except this time in a city thousands of miles away from Cambridge.


Hyde Park

So last night we had mushy peas and chips, and today I’ll be having lunch with my Swedish grandmother. Crazy as it may be, not bad for a span of 24 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment